Posted on March 08 2018
Puppies Puppies Puppies!
Nothing compares to puppies – the smell, the soft fur, their sheer joy and overall squishy cuteness of them. But training puppies is hard work and generally require more attention than an adult dog. As with raising a newborn, training and teaching your furbaby can be as demanding as it is fulfilling. Caring for and raising your puppy correctly from the start will lead to a rewarding relationship with you and your family.
Urbanpaws and Hownd have put together a couple of puppy training tips to help you out on your journey.
- Prepare your home – puppies will wee everywhere! Cover your floor with newspaper or disposable table cloths. Clean up wee and poop quickly to avoid staining and smelling – soda water plus a firm heel works well to pull up wee off carpets.
- Be ready for mischief – puppies like to play and chew so put away shoes, valuables and electric cables otherwise those sharp teeth will cause damage. Keep dangerous cleaning supplies and chemicals shut away safely.
- Be around – puppies feel scared when they are removed from their mother and litter. Take time off work or work from home in the beginning so you can provide attention and love to a new puppy.
- Reward good behaviour – it’s imperative for your puppy to know right from the start when they are being well behaved and also misbehaved. This will make training much easier moving forward.
- Introduce to dogs and cats with patience – don’t be surprised if your older dog or cats treat the puppy with disdain or aggression in the beginning. Show patience and a firm hand whilst keeping an eye on them at all times. Soon they’ll all be a family.
- Spoil them – buy new beds, toys and shampoos!
Remember to protect your puppy's soft and fragile skin in the process
Whilst most of our Hownd dog grooming product range can be used on pups from 12 weeks of age, the Playful Pup Conditioning Shampoo is specially formulated for puppies. With deep cleansing action, it’s ideal to wash away dirt and muck on a puppy’s fur, while being super-sensitive to suit more fragile skin.
It helps keep the natural oil balance of the skin and coat, using a delicately fragranced blend of calming lavender and rose essential oils. Our shampoo is also infused with the beautiful fresh scents of lemongrass and orange which naturally repel fleas and insects, combined with gentle cleansing agents.
This pH-balanced formula contains wheat protein, oatmeal, argan oil and aloe vera leaf juice. This helps a puppy’s skin feel nourished, with a conditioned and soft coat.
All of our Hownd grooming products are 100% natural, vegan and cruelty-free accredited. Try it on your furbaby today!